Saturday, January 28, 2012

Here's to 30 years!

Well, I'm setting at my computer with just 2 more hours before my 30th wedding anniversary begins! Scott and I had a date last night and today spent the day with 11 of our students at a conference...as we drove to Springfield today for the conference my mind has reminiscing over our life together. I told him this morning that the day before our anniversary never, ever passes that I don't remember how ugly I was to him at our rehearsal and think...every year...buddy that was your chance...that SHOULD have opened your eyes to the life you had in front of you! But I must confess, I'm so thankful he stuck it out with me!

My memories today really started with the birth of each of our children....we were so young when Cassie and Heather were both born...with Cassie, Scott was much more relaxed with her than I was...he has been around lots of kids in his family while, I on the other hand, had not...we stayed with my mom for 2 weeks..and then we went home and I cried the entire way home thinking...well...she's dead...I'll kill her...she'll choke and that will be that...I'll panic...my mom won't be there and I'll have no baby!!! (29 years later she is still alive and kicking!) Then very quickly came Heather...I wanted to name her Courtney and Scott said no...fine then..Heather Michelle but I'm NOT calling her Heather...so he called her Michelle all day long after she was born and well...I had changed my mind...pre-cell phone time...so he didn't know...he like to have never broken himself of calling her Michelle...maybe just maybe that is how she got the nickname "Sis"...we had a 2 year break and we had Michael...a few months before he was born...I dreamed it was a boy and the first thing out of my mouth was...now I don't have to have anymore! True story...the minute he was born and we saw that it indeed was a boy...the first thing out of my mouth was...you guessed it...NOW I don't have to have anymore...and we were done...complete family and working on the younger years...Cassie the little mommy Jr., Heather the quiet one that you might want to keep and eye on and Michael...the BOY...Scott worked so hard during these years to provide and I worked so hard at spending every dime he made...oh how I wish I could have a redo...and yet he loved me thru those years...then we thought maybe we did need one more...or I thought he wanted one...he thought I did...when we realized we were neither real sure we did...you guessed it again...TO LATE...and along came Katie...now she is unique in the fact that she is the first child we had at the hospital all by ourselves...that is a cherished time I hold in my heart...and not to be gross but we started her together and we completed it together...and now our family was complete...we would in future years have others come in and out of our lives...but these 4 are the ones God gave us to nurture...it was a good life with lots and lots of hurdles to get over...most hurdles we have gotten over I built and put up myself...but because Scott loves the Lord way more than he does me...we survived! He has been such a witness to the "Truth" of love...gently leading and sometimes dragging me kicking and screaming to the true source of Love...Jesus Christ...I have witnessed up close and personal this man fall more and more in love with Jesus...and I'll always believe because of that he has fallen more and more in love with me...God has been good to us both and healed me and Scott from the inside out...

So with many memories...such as...
-at the alter...talking while we were kneeling for the prayer...
-our first 2 weeks of married live...most of them in the hospital...
-when I has frowning...which back then was ALOT...tickle, tickle under chin...if you love me, you will grin...
-the way he calls me Beth
-the way he holds my hand during the worship service
-the way he has loved our children like a father should
-the way he loved me when everyone would have understood if he'd said no more!
-the way he works so hard even now for me
-the way he loves others
-the way he finds joy and laughter in everything!
-the way he asked me to knock the wind off of him!
-the way he looked at me when we renewed our vows at year 20
-the way he looked at me tonight just before he blessed our dinner!

I love you Scott Griffith...to another 30 years!

No comments: